Starting a new business is never easy – it requires a lot of time, energy, and financial investment. However, it also offers you the chance to begin in the best way possible. All you need to do is research the industry and market before you actually begin. Because with a proper plan and organization, everything is made much easier. And the same goes for those who look to start a successful moving business. Movers Development should know – not only do we work with both experienced and young companies in the moving industry, but we started from scratch as well. So, here are some guidelines to help you stir things up in the world of moving.
Opening a moving company
When you take into consideration the state of the economy today, it might seem a risk to start a new business. But then again – no risk, no gain. And so, you will always find those that take the leap of faith and invest in their own company with the goal to become financially secure and independent. Some will fail along that way while others will overcome all expectations, even their own. The only question is – is your confidence and belief in your idea strong enough to go for it?
When on a journey to start a successful moving business, people often have the wrong idea of what it takes. We think that we need one of those huge commercial trucks and vast warehouse space before we can start a moving company. The truth is far from this statement actually. All you have to do is start small and work your way up gradually. So, how does one become a small moving business owner? Here are some guidelines and tips to help you better understand what it takes.
Ideas to start a successful moving business
Let’s get something clear from the start – you don’t need to purchase a big truck and rent a large warehouse to get into the moving business. In fact, almost 80% of movers across the US focus on small local relocation projects. Why is that? Because they require the least amount of resources. For over a third of Americans, relocation has become somewhat of an annual task – we love to explore and search for that perfect place! And due to such a high moving rate, people tend not to over-weight themselves with unnecessary property – only the essentials.
Thus, you can easily start your new moving company with a smaller van. Many customers today prefer to call a small moving company because they are more affordable and still able to offer top-quality services. This though does not mean you won’t be making a profit. Moving is hard and demanding work and it should be appreciated.
Since there is diversity to be found within the moving industry, you need to decide what type of mover you want to become. Do you only want to focus on local moves in your town or do you have larger ambitions going on towards state to state moving, or even international relocation? Will you focus on moving only or are you going to enrich your services with aspects such as:
- Packing services and supplies
- Storage facilities for rent
- Cleaning services
- Garbage removal
- Handyman services
- Vehicle transportation etc.
One of the better things you should do is follow the current moving trends. They can offer you the insight you need in terms of what to focus on. And until then, here are a few steps to get you started on how to start a successful moving business.
Draft a business plan before you start a successful moving business
No business plan – no moving company. It’s as simple as that. A business plan is vital to start a successful moving business, even if your moving company consists of two guys and a moving van. Writing a business plan to start a moving company is just like writing a plan for any other business. A well-composed business plan can help you:
- Forecast business development. As long as you have short-term and long-term goals, you know where your company is headed. It also plays an important motivational role for a business to set out future goals.
- Allocate resources and markets. This is especially important for starting a business with a limited investment budget. You need to balance out everything in order to make the most impact.
- Focus on key points and opportunities. To start a successful moving company, you have to take advantage of any potential opportunities that come your way. And you have to set your priorities from the very first day.
- Prepare for possible problems. Moving industry news teaches us to always prepare and improve what we have. Part of this process is to try to predict potential problems that await your company and put a plan into action to resolve those issues if they come to life.
Most importantly, a business plan will help you think about how to set your company apart from the rest. Since the moving industry is flooded with movers today, it is essential that you find that special spark that will help you stay ahead of the competition.
Don’t forget to acquire moving and transportation permits
Since you want to open a legal business, you will need to apply for certain permits depending on what type of moving company you want to start. For more information contact your local state regulatory authority or go to The US Department of Transportation to get information on registration and licensing. Please note that every state requirements for moving companies are different. In some states, having a valid US DOT registration is enough to operate as a moving company. Depending on the state, the local regulations differ.
Expenses needed to start a successful moving business
#1: The cost of moving equipment
The higher you aim for, the more it’ll cost you. So, when it comes to laying the foundations for a moving company, it’s best to start small. For starters, you can purchase or rent out a smaller moving truck (somewhere between $80-$160). And in case you already have a van or a pick-up truck, you are already looking at saving a decent amount of cash. Your initial expenses, in that case, would come down to fuel and minor moving equipment:
- Dollies (which you can even rent for as low as $10)
- Furniture belts
- Moving pads and blankets
- Packing and wrapping material
Before you start a successful moving company, you should look to invest in cardboard moving boxes of different sizes. Having all this makes you appear professional to clients from the start. And the good news is that it won’t cost you over $200.
Start a successful moving business with a truck
However, if you seriously want to make your moving company a success, you should definitely consider buying a small truck. If you are looking for a cheaper short-term solution, you should explore used trucks for sale. Of course, if you want to open a moving company that will be your main source of income, then you should consider investing in a new truck with a moving body. Keep in mind that additional insurance requirements come with purchasing your truck.
#2: Moving and transportation insurance
When starting a moving company you need to have liability and cargo insurance. Contact your insurance agency to obtain reasonable insurance coverage for damages and liability. You need vehicle and cargo insurance. Some states have specific requirements on what is the minimum legal amount of your cargo and vehicle insurance. Check with your state authority or insurance agent.
#3: Advertise your new moving company business
You should develop a brand that stands out. Here are some marketing ideas for movers you may want to go through to boost your business. Branding your new moving company successfully will result in more sales.
Create a well-known and reputable brand
- Think of a great name for your new company. Choose carefully and make sure you avoid copyright.
- Invest in a great logo and website design.
- Next comes the labeling. Both your moving equipment (trucks, packing supplies, etc.) and employees should wear and promote your company logo and contact information.
- Create company folders and moving kits. Those could be particularly useful when you are doing in-home estimates and surveys.
Traditional or Online advertising? This is the question. Today your online strategy is your business strategy. There is no other answer. You will need all the connections you can get when you start, so become a member of a local chamber of commerce. It helps a fresh moving company to get listed on local business directories, online and paper-based publications. Become a member of the most popular moving associations and become one of the accredited BBB moving companies.
Invest in your website once you start a successful moving business
Nowadays, people search online first and that is a fact. According to Google, people make over 30 billion searches on a monthly basis, and 80% of them are about services and products. Thus, having a strong online presence is a major component of your business. Now, there are many influencing factors that make a website stand out in the eyes of online visitors as well as search engines. Out of those, the two most important ones would be:
- The overall design and layout of the website. Just take a second to think about it – there is really nothing like the appeal of a well-developed website, right? After all, it speaks to you when you have everything you are interested in, and it looks visually good.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO). Search engine optimization for moving companies is our domain, and we can tell you from the start that it is something worth investing in. The simple matter is that once you have the perfect website and services, you need to make sure that people can find them online. This is where SEO steps in to position you on the very top of the search engine results for any moving assistance people will look for.
Reach out to some online brokers and lead providers if you want to kick-start your newly opened moving company. You need to have a source of jobs as soon as you are in the business. Starting a moving company and having your moving schedule filled up all year long is not an easy task to accomplish. But as long as you are persistent in your ambitions and goals, you’ll get there.