Franklin D. Roosevelt once said: “The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today.” And I personally find that this was as true then as it is today. In particular, I am aiming towards the concept of finding a job in a metropolis such as NYC. You see, at one point or another, we are all forced to grow and getting a job is just one of those many stepping stones. And if you intend to go from a furniture mover to owning and developing your own moving company, you need to start from the very first step. So, what best motivation to get down to some moving jobs search NYC style? And in case you still need training wheels, here are some guidelines.
Moving jobs search NYC – learn to walk before attempting to run
Whether this is your first job hunt or just a transfer, one thing is certain – New York is a whole different ball park. Don’t get me wrong, NYC offers a plethora of job opportunities, but then again – you are not the only one looking for work. You have to be aware that you are not the only one that decided to turn to NYC moving industry patronage. So the sooner you understand the challenge you are dealing with, the more time you will have to prepare.
First step of the moving jobs search NYC process – reassess yourself
Before getting into serious search for work, you need to ask yourself what it is that you can bring to the table. Even if you’ve finished a certain college, there is still plenty to learn from life experiences. And your first moving job can very well determine the direction of your career. So, think long and hard on what your ultimate professional goal is, and then use that as a foundation that you can build on. if you are not certain where to start:
- Consult with family and friends – icebreaker for most newbies. Think on the experience that can be found in your parents and friends of the family and start from there. Find people with a wider point of view on life and get some useful insight from which to develop your career in moving.
- Take a look around – the needs of the people influence the development of the market in question. When a certain industry grows, their priorities shift when it comes to the qualifications of their employees. Search the web for current hiring trends and see where in the moving industry your set of skills fits best.
- Consider professional guidance – for those of us at a loss for inspiration and motivation. There are life coaches nowadays that can help you find that spark. Next thing you know, you are on your way to moving jobs search NYC above and beyond.
Securing the right tools for moving jobs search NYC
You might think that finding moving work is as simple as opening the browser and applying for the first job that pops up, but it’s much more than that. You might want to consider consulting with relocation industry statistics 2017 for a more detailed insight.
It’s a simple example of offer and demand, when you think about it. The employer has a demand for a certain set of skills and traits, and you need to match that with what you have to offer. And the three things that can best prepare you for this:
#1: Having an up-to-date and professional resume
This is the deal – your resume and application are what gets you through the door for the interview. It is the image you wish to install into people before they even get to know you. This is why it is important that you take as much time to perfect your resume. So, what you need to do is find as many examples of resumes as you can and identify the one best suited for you.
#2: Finding the right self-sale pitch
No matter how unique you might think you are, you’re not. There will always be someone with the identical or similar skill set applying for the same job as you. This is why you need something that will make you stand out from the crowd. Once your resume has gotten you through the door, it’s all about impressing the employer. Consider what you might be able to offer that no one else can and bring it to the table.
#3: Information is power – never neglect that, especially today
The world of moving is constantly in motion. So if you want to succeed and stand out, you need to stay ahead of the curve. You moving jobs search NYC will be much less challenging if you are armed with the proper knowledge of what it is the employer, as well as their competition is looking for. Once you have all that, it all comes down to making them understand the asset you could be. A good idea might be to look into current news for movers, to better understand the market requirements.
Second part of New York movers job hunting – never be afraid to go for it
Okay, now that you’ve got a plan of action and the tools to make it happen, time to step into the fire. So it all comes down to the approach you are going to take. And here it’s important to stay persistent – if you truly want something, never be scared to go for it. So here are some solid pillars to help get you where you need to be:
- Never be so cocky to only apply for one job. Being confident is great, but it does not necessarily mean that you will get every job you apply for. So make sure to send out several applications and schedule a couple of interviews before opting for the first that comes along.
- Don’t limit yourself to downtown New York only. NYC is one of the largest cities in the world – meaning that you shouldn’t go expecting a Times Square corner office. Instead, explore the boroughs of New York a bit and carefully decide on a part of town where you might imagine yourself.
- Make your relocation part of your background story. Everybody likes a good background story nowadays – you can tell a lot about people and it shows character. So why not incorporate your decision to move to NYC into your pitch and, by doing so, secure a bond with your future employer.
- Take an interest into the company you intend to work for. Nobody expects you to learn the company history by heart. However, it never hurts to read up on some basic About Us information before going in for an interview. It not only helps you avoid ambush questions, but it also gives you a corner to work from.