Whether you established your moving company a month ago or 10 years ago, certain things always matter. And one of those factors is your company structure and offer. Will you limit yourself to local moves only? Should you incorporate storage services in your proposal? And what about packing services and materials – can you make some profit there? All these questions and the answer is simple – the more you have to offer, the better you will fare. Hence, there are bonus services movers should consider offering to attract more business and profit.
What are the services every mover should build a foundation on?
The moving industry is always expanding, with new innovations popping up on every corner. As a result, what you get is a growing competitive market, hence a challenge to make a name for your company. So, what is a fresh or even veteran business owner to do? Well, to start with, you need to keep track of moving industry news. Consider your current services and how they fit into your business offer. The standards have pretty much been established – the majority of professional moving companies today will offer the following services:
- Local moving
- Long distance relocation
- Residential moving services
- Commercial and office moves
- Packing and unpacking services
And this is all nice and well. In fact, without all these services, you will probably have a hard time establishing your brand. That is, unless you decide to open up your business in a small community with no or little competition (which will hardly happen). So, once you have all these pillars, time to continue building your moving business.
What are the bonus services movers should consider offering?
Well, it all comes down to market research really. After all, there would be little point in incorporating international relocation services for a small town of 40,000 residents. Or imagine if you were to offer eviction moving for a rural area with households – not really logical, is it? Those are just a couple of examples why market research is so important. But nevertheless, here is a list of additional services your moving company should consider investing in to attract new customers:
- Cross country and international moves. The longer the distance, the harder it is to find a moving company. However, with a little planning and organization, you can easily tend to such moving requests.
- Storage Services. Everyone needs extra space nowadays, especially when we relocate. Climate-controlled, short-term, long-term, pick up & delivery…the more the merrier.
- Packing Supplies Shop. The fact is that some customers will want to pack by themselves. So, the least you can do is offer to sell them some high-quality packing material.
- Last-minute Moving. Not all people find the time to plan a move, especially when they decide to do it overnight. Hence, the option to move them within 24-48 hours is very enticing.
- Small Load Moves. Some people might only have need of partial moving assistance, usually for college or moving out of your parent’s home etc. And the option to move small loads comes in handy.
- Eviction Moving. Unfortunately, there are still occurrences like this, especially in larger metropolitan areas. And so, the moving industry decided to take advantage of the situation and offer their help in the matter for a quick and simple resolution.
- Auto Transport and Shipping. A practical choice for cross-country or international moves. After all, how many people you know are attached to their vehicle?
- Industrial Moving. Corporate contracts can significantly influence the development of any business. And the capability to relocate an entire warehouse or factory can be quite beneficial for certain companies.
- Pet Transportation. Hey, we all love our pets and would never want to separate from them. And when you can trust a mover to take care of your animal companion, you really appreciate such a service.
- Specialty Items Relocation (artwork, piano, pool table, hot tubs etc.). One of the most practiced bonus services movers should consider offering. After all, this has become a defining ability of professional movers – handle specialized items.
Activities not directly related to moving and storage to consider
Sometimes you just need to improvise. Consider what it is that your customers don’t look forward to after the move at hand. And the ideas you get can lead you to some great offers that will get you leads and keep you ahead of the competition. So, here are some post-move bonus services movers should consider offering:
- Furniture, Fittings, and Equipment installation.This is a process of moving, delivering and installing your items into a commercial building or a house.
- Home Staging. Even though the move to your new home might be over, you still need to consider how best to sell your old home. And this is where a little interior decor and sales knowledge pays out.
- Handyman Services. Carpenters, electricians, plumbers…why would someone have a number for all of these when you can offer them everything on a plate.
- Baby Proofing. Moving into an apartment or home while expecting might prove a bit stressful, especially when the baby comes. So, the less you need to worry about home safety, the more you will be able to relax.
- Debris Removal and Cleaning. Nobody likes to have to clean the mess after work around the home or moving into one. In fact, people are more than willing to pay to have someone do it all for them, while they enjoy their new neighborhood.
What else is there to consider in terms of extra services movers can provide?
To be frank – plenty! Great moving companies don’t just happen overnight. It takes time and investment to find the perfect formula for a successful moving company. And even then, you have to constantly follow moving industry trends for new ideas. Visit professional conferences, communicate with other moving companies and trade expert advice. You never know how mutually beneficial such partnerships can turn out to be.
Another option to consider is the technological aspect of day-to-day company operations. With the constant progress of technology, you can be sure that new software for movers comes out daily. And the sooner you catch wind of that piece of software being developed in some basement, the more you will be able to take advantage of it. Bear in mind that these are just some of the bonus services movers should consider offering to boost their business. We’ve opened the gateway – it’s up to you to cross over to the other side and make your mark. We wish you the best of luck and are here to offer our full support for any professional advice you might need.