Google is continuously setting demanding standards for all website owners who expect to rank high in search engines. Since these standards are ever-changing, they are challenging to meet at all times. Creating good cornerstone content that is relevant and offers genuine value to the users is compulsory. Otherwise, all website owners can expect is a penalty due to the activation of the Panda algorithm. This algorithm recognizes simple keyword stuffing as a bad strategy that cannot be accepted. Also, if you want to reach a top-ranking position, you need to know how to manage outdated content properly. Every content strategist knows how important it is to assess the website consistently and make decisions on this point. Here are some useful tips on the best practices to manage outdated content.
Why is it necessary to manage outdated content?
SEO for moving companies or any business, in general, is a critical factor. It does not surprise, then, that a vast majority of website owners focus intensely on creating new content. In time, they forget about the content they created earlier. These posts become less important, relevant, and popular with users. If not managed properly, they can significantly slow down your website. Also, Google starts crawling and indexing these less relevant pages instead of the more important ones.
When found in this situation, it is inevitable to act fast. With the appropriate strategy, these outdated posts can gain new value for the users very soon.
To delete or reoptimize that is the question
We say it depends on the content itself. Most often, the answer to this question is to reoptimize, and the reasons are straightforward. Firstly, the process is less time-consuming, which is a significant benefit. Secondly, outdated content is most probably still ranking well. But the problem can be that there are some new moving services you want to offer. Some better and improved moving strategies you wish to apply. Or even to target millennials with content marketing.
How to reoptimize?
There are several practices you can apply to manage outdated content successfully by updating and reoptimizing it. These include:
- Keeping the current URL – Even though you want to update and reoptimize the existing content, creating a new URL is not such a good idea. Keeping the current URL will provide you with all the authority in one place. Moreover, you will eliminate competing with yourself this way.
- Updating your keyword research – It is essential to search for new moving company keywords you can incorporate in the content and improve your traffic significantly.
- Optimizing your call to action – When improving and updating your outdated content, it is essential to know what you want your users to do after reading it. Do you want to offer some of the most popular specialty moving services or give a new offer to your prospective clients? Do you want to provide a chance for your users to sign up for an improved email database? The leading point should be to make an effort and succeed in turning passive readers of your content into active members of your lead funnel.
- Promoting the reoptimized content again – Once the content you offer is more relevant, include it into the promotional schedule. If possible, providing a place for it on the home page is the most effective strategy. This way, you increase the visibility of the updated and reoptimized content. Furthermore, you can include links to old pages in the new content you create. This internal linking can also provide you with satisfying results.
- Including multimedia elements – This is something that will make the content significantly more attractive to all users.
- Checking that external links to the outdated content you plan on updating are still active – It is a wide-known fact that the importance of backlinks is outstanding. Do not forget about them when updating outdated content. These must be still active so that the users can reach the content once you reoptimize it and include new, relevant information.
When is it advisable to delete outdated content?
Sometimes, it is not possible to improve, update, or reoptimize outdated content. That refers to the following circumstances:
- When there are products or services on your website, you no longer offer to your clients.
- If there are former employees or executives profiles on your website
- When there are job postings which are no longer active
- If there are similar blog posts on your website or even duplicate content
How to delete outdated content when necessary?
Options which provide website owners with satisfying results when they need to delete outdated content are:
- 301 Redirect – Most often, this is the best choice for the content to be deleted. For example, by applying this method, you can successfully point old products and services to their new counterparts.
- Using custom messaging – Since every redirect puts more load onto your servers, if used too often it can considerably slow down your site. Instead, using custom messaging and related links might be a good idea in certain circumstances. Thus, your users can go to other places if they, by any chance, land on your old content. If your outdated content refers to some moving services and products that will be available again after some time, do not delete the URL. All you need to do is to show comparable items to help improve the user experience at least to a certain extent.
Final points on how to manage outdated content
Keeping a high-quality website that ranks high in search engines is hard work. It requires thoroughness, systematic approach, and the full attention of the website owners. It is not enough to focus only on creating new optimized content that provides users with value. Knowing how to manage outdated content matters as well. Thus, create an efficient content strategy and frequently assess your website content. Only this way will you be favored by Google and given a high position on its list.